The present building dates from 1200 A.D. when the Nave and South Aisle were built, but there was probably an earlier structure; The village was given to the Abbey of St. Albans in 795 A.D. by King Offa and it is likely that the first Church was constructed soon after.
The Chancel was rebuilt in 1320, when it was both widened and lengthened. Late in the 14th Century the South Aisle was rebuilt and widened, and both Aisle and Nave were lengthened by one bay towards the West. The Arcade was also partly rebuilt and heightened. The Tower was added in the 15th Century, and the South Porch is dated 1828. The Church was much restored in the 19th Century, when the Chancel was practically rebuilt and the roof re-timbered and raised to a higher pitch.
During the restorations of 1889 a series of wall paintings was discovered under a crust of whitewash on the North wall of the Nave. The earliest painting, dating from 1230, shows episodes in the life of St Nicholas. Superimposed on these is a depiction of the seven deadly sins painted around 1500.